Triple Threat Gets Nets for Nets Win
March 20, 2019
In their first time competing, Triple Threat, a team made up of guidance counselor Chris DeVine, senior John Ellard, and athletic trainer Emily Gray, captured the 2019 Nets for Nets three-on-three basketball tournament championship. The tournament, held on March 19, is an annual Student Government sponsored event that raises money for the charity, Nothing But Nets, an organization that provides bed nets for families in Africa.
Sixteen teams competed for the coveted golden basketball trophy with Triple Threat defeating the Kekambas in the finals. The Kekambas, a team made up of Transitions teacher, Dan Kimball, junior Hannah Murphy, and junior Derek Williams, assured everyone that they would be back next year for the rematch.
Last year’s championship team, Three-Peat, featuring physical education teacher Mike Doyle was unseated partially due to an injury to junior girls basketball all-star, Caroline Elie, that kept her out of playing. Her sister, 7th grader Maggie, did a great job filling in. Also on the squad was Aneuris Quezada.
Losing in the semifinals to the Kekambas was the Bulldogs, that included senior Ashley Murphy, junior Dante Vasquez and Rogers Middle School teacher, Matthew Vincenzi.
Principal John Harrison’s team, the Green Eagles, included junior girls basketball all-star, Hannah Wyllie. They had their very creative t-shirts designed and made by teammate Anthony DiNino.
A complete list of teams follows:
- Beatrice Clan: Stephanie, Adam and Lynn Beatrice
- Tres Amigos: Eric Barber, Kyle Lenihan, Mrs. Melissa Shaughnessy
- The Denominators: Jake Dunham, Michaela Brun and Mr. Nick Liquori
- Three-peat: Maggie Elie, Mr. Mike Doyle and Reese Quezada
- Elite Crossovers: Alan Wright, Jarius Thomas, Ms. Shelley Coulombe
- Nets for Nets Champs: Tyler Beatrice, Antonio Gilstap, Ms. Julia Dicanzio
- The Units: Own Shea, Mr. Pete Harrison, Molly Callahan
- The Kekambas: Derek Williams, Mr. Dan Kimball, Hannah Murphy
- The White Mambas: Bella Seaton, Jake Wells, Mr. Greg Banks
- The John bLOCKErs: Maddie Gear, Marissa Smith, Mr. Rich MacAllister
- Triple Threat: John Ellard, Mr. Chris DeVine, Emily Gray
- The Green Eagles: Principal John Harrison, Hannah Wyllie, Tony DiNino
- The Ubiquitin Destroyers: Zach Webb, Matt Bruzzese, Mrs. Angela Armstrong
- Deep Treble: Ms. Lindsay Crook, Jordan Cunningham, Kathleen Nee
- Los Ballers: Adrian Fuecada, Josiah Durand, Ms. Jacqueline Tabares
- Bulldogs: Mr. Matt Vincenzi, Ashley Murphy, Dante Vasquez
It was a fun way to get a little March Madness into the high school scene and also to raise money for a good cause. Each of the sixteen teams contributed a $15 entry fee.
Joanne White and Jill Delaney, Student Government advisors kept track of the brackets and awarded the golden basketball trophy to the winners. Junior Katie Buckley, Community Services Committee Chair, organized the tournament for the SGC.
Ms. White said that she was pleased at the turnout of teams and thought the tournament was a great success.
photos by Veritas photographer, Ashley Murphy