Monthly Archives: August 2017
Time to Buy your 2017 RHS Shirts!
Jasmin Morse, Veritas Web Editor
As the new year begins, so do school activities and events. Already, groups have started organizing events, and they have even started promoting the shirts they plan to sell to raise money.
Already within the first week back the Pathways Program has started selling brand new shirts of their own. Their annual Unified Kickball event is coming up soon and the shirts will be coming in just in time to show your support. They will be sold at all three lunches for $20 until today, August 31.
Along with Pathways, SGC is already selling their annual Breast Cancer Walk shirts. They are on sale now until September, 13. The shirts are $20 each and will be here in time for the Walk on Sunday, October 1.
Kicking off the 2017-2018 School Year
Jasmin Morse, Veritas Web Editor
After a long, hot summer the Rockland Public Schools are back in action. With the incoming of a new freshmen class and the stepping up of the upperclassmen the 2017-2018 school year is bound to be full of growth, learning, and fun.
This morning each of the high schools’s classes met in the auditorium to review the ground rules and expectations with their teachers, Ms Paulding, Mr Graziano, and Dr Harrison. The freshmen were told about how the rotating schedule works and all students reviewed their assignment of guidance counselor.
Dr. Harrison encouraged all students to ask themselves the question: “What will my legacy be?’ He also showed students two video clips from the Class of 2017 Graduation ceremony and emphasized the pride and excitement that could be seen. Dr. Harrison told each class that they will continue to grow as a class and as students as the years progress to their graduation.
After the pep talks everyone returned to their classes to figure out their schedules and new teachers and continue the day marking a new beginning for all here at RHS.
Are You Ready For The First Day of School?
Below is part of Principal John Harrison’s Weekly Update. For the complete update go to Dr. Harrison’s blog.
RHS COMMUNITY WEEKLY UPDATE #2
AUGUST 24, 2017
IN THIS EDITION:
With the start of school on Monday, August 28th, we wanted to share some reminders before the start of school. If you have not had a chance, please review last week’s RHS Community Weekly Update #1 with a more comprehensive list of back to school information. In this week’s edition, you will find information on the following:
- A Back to School Checklist
- Introduction of New Staff Biographies
- Review of the Bell Schedule
- Attendance Policy Reminder
- Homework Club and Saturday School
- A Recap of New Student Orientation Night
- School Picture Day Information
- What’s for Lunch?
- Activities and Athletics
- Join the Journalism Club!
- Fall Sports Schedules
- Discounted Internet Service
- The Week Ahead
BACK TO SCHOOL CHECKLIST:
1) Summer Reading– Students should make sure they have completed their summer reading and any other summer homework assignments. On Wednesday, September 13th, students will be discussing their summer reading book with faculty in groups.
2) Bring Your Schedule the First Day– Students may log-in to X2 to check their schedule for the next school year as of now. X2 Parent/Family Portal Accounts are also active now. To access a student schedule in X2, please do the following:
- Log-in to X2: https://ma-rockland.myfollett.com/aspen/logon.do
- Go to MY INFO Top Tab.
- Select CURRENT SCHEDULE on the left Side Tab.
Every effort was made to schedule students into electives of their choice, however graduation requirements need to be a priority. Students may have electives they didn’t request because those were the classes that were available and accommodated the academic needs of the student. No schedule changes will be made based on teacher preferences. The last day for a schedule change is August 31st.
4) Return Paperwork- Please be sure to return all the paperwork sent home on the first day of school by Tuesday, September 5th. Signed Handbook Contracts, Parent Contact/Dismissal Cards, and filled- out or corrected Emergency Contact Information should be returned.
5) Stay Informed- Throughout the school year, we are encouraging families to stay informed by doing the following:
- Visiting our website at www.rocklandschools.org .
- Following Mr. Harrison on twitter at https://twitter.com/@rocklandhs for frequent Rockland High School news alerts.
- Visiting Mr. Harrison’s personal blog (www.rocklandhs.blogspot.com) and subscribing to daily emails. To receive daily emails, enter your email address at the bottom of the page and then select submit. You will need to log-in to your email account and verify your email address before you start to receive the emails.
See you all on Monday!!
Fall Sports 2017 Ready to Hold Work-outs in Coming Days
Football work-outs begin today, August 18. The rest of the fall sports will begin on Weds. August 23.
Here is the schedule for fall sports!
Fall Sports Schedule 2017 page 2
Here is an article from Wicked Local about new head coach, Nick Liquori
SGC Kicks off the Year with Camp
Jasmin Morse, Veritas Web Editor
This past Monday through Wednesday RHS’s successful Student Government held its annual summer camp. From class meetings, exciting energizers, to Committee Wars many members thought it was another successful start of the year for SGC.
Many plans have already been made for the year to come whether it was for the classes, workshops, to the SGC Committees that were formed this week. The committees included Community Service, Finance and Fundraising, Unified Spirit, and Student Services.
All the work aside, members were able to enjoy themselves in many fun activities. The crowd favorite by far was on the last day when Committee Wars were held. During this activity every committee had to compete in a series of events trying to rack up the most amount of points in hopes to win overall. At the end of the day, after lots of hard work and fun the Community Service Committee won.
Unified Spirit Committee (Blue):
Jacob Leahy, Sydney McKenna, Taylor Anzivino, Lara Glennon, Jakob Wells, Keely Naughton, Chris Penney and Greta Russo
Community Service Committee (Red):
Justin Sherlock, Jasmin Morse, Caitlin Cameron, John Ellard, Erin Field, Julia Yeadon, Molly Boggs and Brandon Gallagher
Finance and Fundraising (Green):
Tyler Beatrice, Hannah Boben, Aiden Glennon, Marissa Smith, Jon Dorney, Matthew Bruzzese, Maurice Wilson, and McKayla Sugrue
Student Services (Yellow):
Haley Nee, Maddie Gear, Katy Buckley, Zach Peterson, Tyler Gambon, Eric Barber, Kate Burke and Jillian Dorney